At the 2006 AGM the PSAI agreed a new Constitution, part of which states that:
Fellows of the Political Studies Association of Ireland shall be elected to Fellowship at the Annual General Meeting in recognition of their outstanding service to the Association.
Nominations for Fellowship must have the majority endorsement of the Executive Committee before a motion for their election can be placed before an Annual General Meeting.
They must then be elected by a two-thirds majority of those attending the Annual General Meeting of the Association.
No more than one Fellow may be elected at any Annual General Meeting.
Fellows shall have voting rights at Annual General Meetings, and shall remain liable to payment of annual subscriptions.
The first Fellow was elected at the 2007 AGM on the occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the PSAI.
To date the Fellowship has been awarded as follows:
- 2017-2018: Prof. Jennifer Todd, University College Dublin
- 2015-2017: Prof. Yvonne Gallilgan, Queens University Belfast
- 2013-2015: Prof. Michael Marsh, Trinity College Dublin
- 2011-2013: Prof. Michael Laver, New York University
- 2009-2011: Prof. Paul Arthur, University of Ulster
- 2007-2009: Prof. Tom Garvin, University College Dublin